No tags found
Tuesday Jul 05, 2022

3 Way to Pay Your Bills After a Work Injury

If you’re not working because of a serious injury, it’s easy to feel like your world is crumbling. You might be scared about how you’ll pay for basic necessities-especially if you can’t work at all. And that’s why it’s important to know the three main ways people who are injured on the job can get financial assistance.

Workers Compensation

If you can’t work because of your injury, workers’ compensation will help you pay your bills. This program is offered through state governments and usually provides a percentage of your salary for a set number of weeks. The amount you receive depends on the state in which you live.

Some companies are reluctant to pay workers compensation, arguing that the injury was not work-related. If this is the case, you might need to hire an attorney to help you in getting compensation after a work injury Iowa.

Many people combine their workers’ compensation with a short-term disability to help meet ends.

Short Term Disability

Short-term disability is a program offered by many employers to help you pay your bills for a few months. This program usually requires that you’ve been working for the company for a certain amount of time, typically six months. You’ll receive a percentage of your salary for a set number of weeks until you are able to return to work.

Some individuals combine their short-term disability with a savings account or other form of supplemental income to help cover their costs until they’re able to return to work.

Social Security Disability

Social security disability is a federal program that helps people who can’t work because of physical or mental impairment. This program offers a monthly payment and allows you to continue receiving Medicare coverage. To qualify for social security disability, you must have paid Social Security taxes from your paycheck for a certain number of years.

This program does not look at the cause of your injury; instead, it looks only to whether or not you can work due to physical or mental impairments. To qualify, you must be unable to do any job that exists in the national economy. This program is long-term and is only for those that don’t expect to work for at least a year.

If you’re not working because of a serious injury, it’s essential to know about these three main ways to get financial assistance. Workers’ compensation will help you pay your bills for a set number of weeks. Short-term disability will provide you with income for a few months. Social security disability offers a monthly payment until you can return to work.

Back to Top